Sunday, March 25, 2007

Weekend update

No, Chevy Chase is not subbing for me...

It was another busy weekend. I never made it to work on Friday; about 3 miles from the office, some idiot ran a red light and I had to really stomp on the brakes. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but they've been needing replacement for a little while. About two blocks later, I went to stop at a red light and heard a 'klunk!' from the front wheel and the brake pedal went to the floor. Luckily, I didn't hit anyone or anything and was able to get off the road. Upon a quick inspection, I didn't see any parts on the ground and nothing hanging or leaking from the car. I couldn't get a tow truck, so I thought I was screwed, but when I pulled off the main road and tried to find a more private and hospitable place to freak out, I determined that I still had a little stopping power. I was able to limp home without incident.

I took both front wheels off and saw that in addition to needing brake pads, I needed rotors as well. Went to the auto parts store, picked up everything I needed and then replaced everything on Saturday.

Getting everything done yesterday allowed me to get in my long run this morning. It was a good run. I did a nice, easy seven miles. The weather was beautiful; 60° at 6:30 and a light breeze. Perfect weather for running. The run itself was pretty uneventful, aside from the asshole in the truck who decided that I really should be running in the grass and not on the edge of the pavement and forced me to jump off the road pretty quickly. So, aside from seeing a jackass, I didn't really see any wildlife. Every once in a while, I'll see a hawk or a rabbit out looking for some breakfast. Once, I saw a fox; that was pretty cool. Today, not so much. Yesterday evening, we had a picnic dinner at the beach - Jack loves going to the beach and playing at the playground there - on the way out, we saw a couple of horned owls up on a telephone pole getting ready to hunt. I don't know how much longer we'll be able to see stuff like that around here with the way that they're building houses on any unoccupied patch of ground. It's pretty depressing actually.

Well, that's enough of that. It's getting late and I've got to work tomorrow.

Getting ready for: 6th annual Bolt Run 5k in Downtown Tampa, 31 March 07

No comments: